Mad for Dips and Creamy Clam Dip

by heidi on March 29, 2012

Post image for Mad for Dips and Creamy Clam Dip

When it comes to sporting events, we’re all about rallying the troops and gathering the pom poms, but really it’s an excuse for a foodie get together.

It doesn’t much matter the team, whether it revolves around engines, goggles or balls, it’s a simple reason to come together and become absorbed in the beauty of human determination and fortitude.

This weekend we’ll be choosing sides, donning our colors, and sitting back to immerse ourselves in March Madness. I’m partial to college basketball. My dad played college basketball, as did my grandfather, and yes, I play a mean game of H-O-R-S-E.

So as the remaining teams battle for the big win at the Final Four and the network entices the not-so-enthralled-fans with the musical medley of  Jimmy Buffet, Blondie, KISS, Avett Brothers and the Black Keys—nothing like throwing a broad blanket on the entertainment picks to try and appease each and every demographic–we’ll be gorging on our go-to game time snack. Clam Dip.

This is a classic dip from my family, and I loved it even as a kid when I picked out the clams and ate only the cream cheese. My family’s recipe is more purist, minus the addition of green onions, but as usual, we’ve made the recipe our own.

G Dawg prefers the ridged Ruffles for dipping, more sturdy a base to pile the dip high upon. My mom and dad always pull out the bag of Lay’s. You never can eat just one. Hammertime.

I prefer my dip chunky but certainly choose minced or chopped clams, depending on your clam-ference. And then, get ready for Nirvana. Or Hammertime. Totally depends on your decade.

Game day always welcomes noshing. Here’s a few more dips to keep your cheering enthusiastic.

Foodie Crush Averie Cooks Spinach Artichoke Dipphoto > Averie Cooks

Averie Cooks has the secret to any pre-game party: the ever popular Spinach Artichoke Dip where Averie piles it high for quote: “maximum dippage.”

Foodie Crush The Parsley Thief Cheese Guiness Dipphoto > The Parsley Thief

Thick, creamy and ready to celebrate a victory, The Parsley Thief’s Cheddar Guiness Dip is Katie’s way of delivering an assist and whoopin’ it up at the final four.

Foodie Crush Cookie and Kate Tomato Feta Bake

photo > Cookie and Kate

You might think pre-game foodie rituals need to focus on hot cheese and goo, but Cookie and Kate‘s Mediterranean Feta Dip scores with a healthy vegetarian flair. My waistline thanks you Kate.

Foodie Crush She Wears Many Hats Layered Black Bean Dip

photo> She Wears Many Hats

Yep. Amy’s dip pretty much doesn’t need any explanation. Cheese. Roasted poblano pepper-cilantro spice almost like a pesto love. Beans. Spice again. She Wears Many Hats’ Layered Black Bean Dip. ‘Nuff said.

Foodie Crush Pizza Dip

photo > Heather Likes Food

Move over Brooklyn, there’s a new pizza in town. In a dip. On a chip. Heather Likes Food’s creamy Pizza Dip indulgence is the perfect to reason to keep your defense up. http://heatherlikesfood.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/pizza-dip/

Related Posts
Chunky Citrus Guacamole
Blackened Chicken Buffalo Drumsticks
Stuffed Mushrooms with Hollandaise Sauce

Thanks for reading and please keep in touch.  Subscribe to Foodie Crush and follow me on TwitterFacebook and Pinterest and check out Foodie Crush magazine and Cookie Cravings cookbook.

Posted in: appetizers and small bites,recipes

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 29, 2012 at 2:35 am

Thanks for linking up my dip, Heidi. I love this post and seeing the other dips you linked because seriously, I am all about dips and spreads. They make me happy :)

BTW, random aside, do I remember reading in a post of yours that you were going to get LR 4 or did get it? How do you think it compares/differs from LR3? Worth it? Even if it’s just something tiny, I would totally upgrade if you find the new version better, even in a small way.

Kelley March 29, 2012 at 6:48 am

I have to agree with your folks, I’m a Lays girl. I’d probably pick out the clams as well….not my fave. But cream cheese trumps all so I’d probably eat some anyway!!

Cassie March 29, 2012 at 6:57 am

I am such a fan of snacks, especially dips. This is a great roundup. And the clam dip sounds like such a treat!

Kathryn March 29, 2012 at 6:58 am

Chips and dips are one of my favourite things to munch on, this post is full of some really great inspiration!

Bev Weidner March 29, 2012 at 8:18 am

I’m about to straight up fall out of my dang chair looking at that pizza dip. And the clam dip. And the black bean dip. OKAY ALL OF THEM.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables March 29, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’ve never had clam dip but it sounds fabulous!

Wendy@chezchloe March 29, 2012 at 9:21 am

Yes yes yes to all of the above. Quite something since the days of a packet of Lipton’s onion soup mix and sour cream… although I’d still dip a chip in that too! Printing these out for my summer go to list.

Gin March 29, 2012 at 9:42 am

Any Larsen TV watching event would not be complete without Heidi’s clam dip. Like Kelly, clams are not my fave but since chips (Ruffles) and cream cheese are involved I dig in anyway. The Pizza dip is one of those “why have I never thought of this” dips – and will be adding this to our hot snack staples.

Cookin' Canuck March 29, 2012 at 10:25 am

I could happily dip all day long. And now I’m asking myself why I never make clam dip…that needs to change. All of our brackets are shot to hell, but we will be glued to the TV for the Final Four.

Becky at VintageMixer March 29, 2012 at 10:44 am

love your dip line up!

Rocky Mountain Woman March 29, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I haven’t had clam dip in ages!

I will have to make some for the next party I go to, if I make it at home I eat every last morsel….

Cookie + Kate March 29, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Thanks a million for including my Med dip in your roundup, Heidi! That stuff is so tasty. I love the back patio atmosphere you have going on in your clam dip photos! You’re a pro.

Crosby March 29, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I like the idea of posting different dips. Thanks for the recipe.

Nicole March 29, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Wow. By its look, I bet this dips are very tasty. I’m gonna try this at home for my friends and family..Your great!

Heather March 31, 2012 at 11:17 pm

What a great line-up for dips! Thanks so much for including my pizza dip… but now i’ve got to make a run to the grocery store for some chips! So much for the diet! :P

Maria @ Orchard Bloom April 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm

This post is right up my ally. I’m such a sucker for dips!

Liz April 1, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Spinach Artichoke Dip will it sounds a good dip. I never tried spinach for dip.

Deborah April 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Dips are truely my weakness. Put some in front of me, and I have no will power. I’ve got to try your dip, along with all of these others!!