The Simplest Alaskan King Crab Legs and a Valentine’s Dinner Round-Up

by heidi on February 7, 2012

Foodie Crush Steamed Alaskan King Crab Legs

Hearts, sprinkles, love letters and romantic gestures from someone you’ve admired from afar. Or, maybe not. Valentine’s Day is one of the most anticipated holidays of the year. And the most dreaded.

But fear not the pudgy cherub with his pointy bow that may or may not be misdirected, it matters not whether you have a love in your life, you still need to feed your face.

A favorite of mine and my honey bunny poochie coo (er, husband) for V-day is keepin’ it simple with a bottle of wine and crackin’ crab in front of the Tivo and catching up on last week’s Parenthood.

FoodieCrush Alaskan King Crab Leg

Some people think crab is something you only get when you go out for that special meal, but honestly, we’re total opposites in that theory. Why spend all your dough on the restaurant mark-up when instead you can grab yourself a couple of extra legs to heat up toot sweet?

We’ve cooked Alaskan King Crab Legs every which way—except in a crock pot because that would just be not right. We’ve boiled, sauteed, steamed, broiled and bar-b-qued.

Foodie Crush Alaskan Crab Legs

The best way we’ve found to cook up these leggy supermodel crustaceans is by binding them up in paper towels and plastic wrap like little high school wrestlers trying to make weight before the big match and using most cooks day-to-day, go-to kitchen-cooking-contraption, the good old microwave.

Since crab from the grocery store freezer bin is already flash cooked, the problem with cooking at home is just that. You’re cooking it twice! So instead of cooking it again, to shreds, to rubbery smithereens, just give it a little warm up.

Foodie Crush Alaskan Crab Legs

Thanks to Alton Brown and his uber scientific genius ways, we have our favorite crabby-crab recipe to dip in fatty-mcfat buttery goodness with a squirt of lemon. Enjoy!

Steamed Alaskan King Crab Legs

Serving Size: 2

Steamed Alaskan King Crab Legs

recipe: Alton Brown
6 Alaskan king crab claws, thawed
4 sprigs fresh dill

1. 1. Cut claws at joints to fit into your microwave. Wrap 3 claws in damp paper towels with 2 sprigs of fresh dill and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
  2. 2. Place wrapped claws in the microwave 1 package at a time and cook for 2 minutes.
  3. 3. Remove and carefully unwrap, they’ll be steamy so be careful of the full-facial steam.
  4. 4. Serve and enjoy with melted butter and plenty of napkins.
  5. **tip: Since the legs have been steamed and thus the shells are softened, I use kitchen shears to open the crab legs rather than a crab cracker.

And hey now, how about some additions to our crab to create a romantic virtual Valentine’s dinner? Whoop! Light some candles and get down tonight!

Foodie Crush This Week for Dinner Cranberry Mocktail photo > This Week for Dinner

V-day Cocktail: A little bit tart, a little bit sweet, Jane has created the perfect starter to swoop your valentine off their feet with This Week for Dinner’s Cranberry Cutie Mocktail.  And if you’re looking for a little v-day kick, you could always add a splash of vanilla vodka.

Foodie Crush Verses from My Kitchen Squash Soup

photo > Verses from My Kitchen

V-Day Soup: Earthy winter veggies come together in Mike’s richly loved and lushly blended Squash Bisque with Herb Croutons from Verses from My Kitchen.

Foodie Crush Lemon Fire Brigade Beet and Orange Salad

photo > Lemon Fire Brigade

V-Day Salad: Sarah’s keeping it light for the big night with Lemon Fire Brigade’s Composed Beet, Fennel and Orange Salad  with all of the colors hitting all of the right spots.

Foodie Crush Haniela Potatoes

photo > Haniela’s Food & Photography

V-Day Side: You can hear it all ’round the web, “Ahhh, how cuuuuute” are these little hearts of potato-doo love in Delicious Roasted Potatoes from Haniela’s Food & Photography.

Foodie Crush Daydreamer Desserts Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

photo > Daydreamer Desserts

V-Day Dessert: Josie creates the ultimate hook-up fresh berries and chocolate covered graham crackers all fill in the sweet desires of Daydreamer Desserts Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream .

More from Foodie Crush:
Champagne Punch
Avocado, Onion and Tomato Salad
Butternut Squash Lasagna
Red Velvet Cupcakes

Thanks for reading and please keep in touch. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and follow me on TwitterFacebook and Pinterest and check out Foodie Crush magazine

Posted in: entrees,meat and seafood,recipes

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 7, 2012 at 12:56 am

Those are the prettiest crab legs! I have never cooked crab. Crazy but true. I wouldnt know where to begin but the microwave is one place I would have never thought…but love. I love my nuke box.

And those potatoes. TOO Cute!

Denise February 7, 2012 at 1:58 am

Gorgeous! I’m a big, big lover of crab legs. They may be my favorite food. Because I live in Holland, I only have them once in a while (when I’m in the US, I always have them way more often!). There’s something about that satisfaction after you cracked one open…

Bev Weidner February 7, 2012 at 6:01 am

GOOOOD grief. Look at those legs. Absolutely gorgeous. We’re doing lobster and I’m already having 30 plus heart attacks. I might change my mind and get some LAIGS!

Cassie February 7, 2012 at 7:03 am

I looooove simplicity. And I don’t have valentine’s day dinner planned. This sounds pretty much perfect. And the photos are GORGEOUS!

Tamara @jemofthesouth.com February 7, 2012 at 8:56 am

Those crablegs looke delicious! The photo is amazing. That mocktail looks pretty yummy too. :-)

Joanne February 7, 2012 at 9:28 am

My family really wanted to eat several sea foods, Simply most crab. Delicious!

Yvette ~ Muy Bueno February 7, 2012 at 9:47 am

YUM! I have been craving crab legs and this truly made my tummy growl!

Cookin' Canuck February 7, 2012 at 10:28 am

Gorgeous photos! I totally agree that crab legs shouldn’t be relegated to restaurant-only meals. When I was a kid, my parents and I would drive down the coast from Vancouver to the Cannon Beach area in Oregon. One of my favorite rituals was visiting the local fishmonger, picking up whole Dungeness crabs for my dad and me (scallops for my crustacean-allergic mum), take them back to our condo and steam up the crabs for a feast, complete with drawn butter and bibs. I have to treat my kids to that sometime!

Daydreamer Desserts February 7, 2012 at 11:02 am

Love the round-up, thanks for the mention! Drooling over those crab legs…

Sarah B. February 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Heidi- so sweet of you to give some lemon fire love. What a fun post!! I am dying for a little crab over here, looks so delish and bright!! Love to you!

haniela February 7, 2012 at 7:56 pm

What a delicious looking round up, and thank you so much for the mention. I seriously can’t pick the favorite. Thank you.

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme February 7, 2012 at 10:51 pm

You got me in the mood for these delicious crab legs! When we lived in Virginia we used to pick crab legs up often and make them at home. We haven’t had them in awhile but I am thinking these just might be what we have on Valentine’s Day now, so yummy!

Maria February 8, 2012 at 9:17 am

The prettiest crab legs I have ever seen:) A dinner in is always better than a dinner out-especially on Valentine’s Day!

Nancy/SpicieFoodie February 8, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I had no idea that you could just pop them, frozen ones, in the microwave. Really good to know! Your photos have made my crab craving go into overload. Great roundup and recipes.

Lisa February 12, 2012 at 5:53 am

I couldn’t stop looking at the photo of those gorgeous legs on TS. I could eat a dozen easily! Love your quickie nuke for them – I’ll have to use that method next time I pick some up :)

heidi February 13, 2012 at 1:01 am

It’s seriously the easiest and quickest way to enjoy legs!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet February 14, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Everything looks fantastic!! Happy Valentine’s Day Heidi!

Leila February 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Those crab legs are beautiful! I just “pinned” them.

Miguel May 13, 2013 at 10:03 am

I think this is among the most vital information for
me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The
website style is perfect, the articles is really great :
D. Good job, cheers