I have a long tradition with the Superbowl, and most of them I even remember past the 3rd quarter.
Now let me just say, in my defense, those memories usually depended upon which team I picked to win. And sometimes I wasn’t such a good picker.
Back in the day when my friends and I still thought we could hang like we did in college, if your chosen team was scored upon in any which way, it was a side game bet for our fellow party goers to see just how easily us losers could traverse crawling OUT the living room window, dropping DOWN to the driveway and partaking of a penalty shot. Oh. How. Dumb. In. Our. Youth. Yet another reason I’m thankful my twenties are in my rear view mirror.
This year, given my beloved 49ers are out of the running, it REALLY, really, really is all about the food: making, eating and grazing again.
He’s a good cook that boy.
Pork Belly Sliders. Perfect for a crowd, easy to assemble and tangily tastily delicious. Take that Tom Brady.
- 1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- 2. Remove skin from the piece of meat. Score the fat cap in criss cross sections through the fat but not into the meat itself. Generously coat with salt and pepper, rubbing into the criss cross sections and on all sides of the meat.
- 3. Place in a roasting pan fat side up and roast in oven for 3 hours. After 3 hours, increase heat to 400 degrees and bake for another half an hour basting every 10 minutes until crunchy on top.
- 4. Remove from oven and let cool. You can make this ahead of time and put in refrigerator until ready to make sandwiches.
- Asian Slaw
- makes 2 cups
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 English cucumber, seeded and julienned
- 1/2 Fuji apple, julienned
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- pinch or more of red pepper flakes, to taste for spicy heat
- 1. Combine all ingredients. Put in refrigerator to chill for an hour or longer for flavors to blend.
- Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 medium canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1. Combine ingredients.
- 2.Chill in refrigerator until ready to assemble sandwiches.
- To assemble Sandwiches
- 1 dozen slider buns or dinner rolls
- 1. Slice pork belly into 1/4" slices. If pork has been reserved in refrigerator, reheat slices in fry pan.
- 2. Slice slider buns in half, slather sides with chipotle mayonnaise.
- 3. Layer arugula, two pork belly slices and a heaping of Asian slaw mixture. Top with bun and serve.
Let’s not go getting all stuffed with big portions okay? Here’s a few slider ideas to keep your appetite at optimum grazing levels.
photo > Return to Sunday Suppers
And check out these other FoodieCrush Recipe Roundups for your Superbowl feast: