Red Velvet Cupcakes Plus 10 Red Velvet Recipes With a Twist

by heidi on January 26, 2012

Foodiecrush Magazine Red Velvet Cupcakes

And another one bites the dust. As in years. As in last week was my birthday.

It was a whirlwind week, filled with workin’ the day job, my once-a-week teaching gig and hitting SLC’s Grand America hotel for my second foray attending the Altitude Design Summit, or more fondly know as “Alt”. I met some incredible bloggers, soaked in generously-shared knowledge, worked my Twitter and Instagram accounts to the bone and gawked admirably at the uber-fashionable fashionistas attending. Stay tuned for some Alt highlights and what I learned in my next post.

And then Saturday arrived, my BIG day. It was my birthday.

This wasn’t an ordinary birthday, it was one of those “milestones” that we all dread, and no I’m not talking the big 30. Sneaking into the crevices of my well-worn brain was a phrase I’d heard the day before from Alt’s keynote speaker Gretchen Rubin, author of the NY Times Bestseller The Happiness Project, “The days are long, the years are short.” Yep, that’s pretty much life in a nutshell.

Birthdays are a good life-check. As in, it’s time to live your life. And so that’s what I’m going to do. Live my life, la vida loca. Bring it old man time, I’ll show you!

FoodieCrush MagazineMy Smudge and my man hatched a plan to surprise me on my bday morning, and that they did.

With trills of giggles, a rustling flurry of pre-dawn activity and a calamity happening over my slumbering head—a sound resembling bowling balls hitting strikes against those ever persnickety pins—I opened my eyes to see our entire bedroom ceiling filled with helium balloons. A birthday serenade, then breakfast in bed and lots of good snuggles. It was a good day.

FoodieCrush Magazine

FoodieCrush Magazine

FoodieCrush Magazine

After a mandatory photo shoot with my somewhat non-willing Smudge, it was time to bake. The husband isn’t a baker, so this was all on me and a great way to spend my day.

We all have our favorite cakes. Mine is German Chocolate Cake, hence my love of Almond Joys and anything coconut. But this year I went for something different and totally out of my norm: Red Velvet Cupcakes.

I first made this recipe back in December at the request of my Smudge. And I’m just going to lay it on the line, and tell you how it is. These cupcakes are hands down, the best cupcakes I HAVE EVER MADE. Light. Fluffy. The most delicate crumb. Maybe due to the 6 eggs whipped into the batter?

FoodieCrush Magazine Red Velvet Cupcakes

My discovery of the recipe was all thanks to a Tweet, my request for anyone to share a good recipe. And then I received this from Marie of Cocina Marie, who then wrote a post about it, for lil’ ol’ me.

So thanks to her fortitude and diligence, I made them in her honor again for my birthday. Again, hands down, BEST CUPCAKES EVER.

FoodieCrush Magazine Red Velvet Cupcakes

Head over to her site for the Red Velvet Cupcake recipe and her recipe for the Cream Cheese Icing. You can thank me later.

A couple of tips:
1. I doubled the frosting recipe, it didn’t seem to go as far as the recipe indicated, probably because I’m a frosting nut. I also used real vanilla beans, hence the speckled look.
2. A 1/4 cup measuring cup or a #24 cookie scoop is just the right size for measuring your batter into standard cupcake liners and pans.
3. Don’t overfill or you’re cupcakes will look like a 35-year-old trying to fit into her 10 pounds and 10 year later jeans ala muffin top. And don’t pretend you don’t know what THAT looks like.

And if you’re looking for some original takes on the traditional Red Velvet, try any one of these recipes on for size. Don’t they look deeevine??? I would take ANY of these for my birthday candle blowout (yes, definitely the onion rings.)

FOodieCrush Magazine Une Deux Senses Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake

Foodie Crush Magazine I am Baker Red Velvet Pancakes

Red Velvet Pancakes photo and recipe from I am Baker

Foodie Crush magazine Two Peas and Their Pod Red Velvet Cheesecake Cookies

Red Velvet Cheesecake Cookies photo and recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod

Foodie Crush magazine not Martha Red Velvet Cupcakes in a Jar

Red Velvet Cupcakes in a Jar photo and recipe from Not Martha

Thanks for reading. Keep in touch, please subscribe to FoodieCrush and follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest and check out FoodieCrush magazine.

Posted in: baking and breads,desserts and sweets,recipes

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 26, 2012 at 2:53 am

Happy 21st birthday!! Hope it was a good one :)

The pics of your daughter are gorgeous and so is all that red velvet food…and best ever cupcakes? I am off to that site next.

Alt. I didn’t even know about it til it was too late; so many conferences, so little time.

heidi January 26, 2012 at 7:29 am

Ha! Love you Averie. I trolled your site but you had zero red velvet recipes for me to feature! Get on it girl :)

Also, LOVE the new profile pic!!!!!

Kathryn January 26, 2012 at 3:53 am

Happy birthday! It sounds like you had a wonderful day full of colour. Thanks for a great round up of red velvet recipes, those onion rings are particularly intriguing!

heidi January 26, 2012 at 7:28 am

When I saw those onion rings I KNEW they had to be in the post. Totes original!

Sarah | Chic Sprinkles January 26, 2012 at 5:23 am

Happy Happy Birthday!!! I hope you had a wonderful day! I love reading your posts, and yes nobody wants a muffin top ;] You really took my favorite flavor and exploded it in this post, LOVE. Thanks so much! I am wanting those red velvet pancakes and donuts this morning, bad.

xox Sarah

heidi January 26, 2012 at 7:25 am

Thank you Sarah, and believe me, the blog admiration goes both ways! Readers: check out Sarah’s blog if you haven’t yet, it is something special! XO

Maria January 26, 2012 at 6:16 am

Glad you had a great birthday! And I am so glad Smudge let you take a few photos. She is a DOLL! I just love her! The cupcakes are perfect for a birthday celebration! I hope your year is fabulous-I know it is going to be:) P.S.-thanks for the cookie link love:) Yay for Red Velvet!

heidi January 26, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thanks for creating such a fun recipe and for the happy wishes! It is going to be a great year and I can’t wait to tell everyone about our next project! XO

Laurie {Simply Scratch} January 26, 2012 at 6:38 am

Happy Birthday!! Love all these red velvet recipes!! Those red velvet onion rings though… ohmygosh AMAZING!

heidi January 26, 2012 at 7:27 am

Red velvet onion rings, yes! Who knew, right? Next up: Red Velvet Chicken Wings! :)

Kelley January 26, 2012 at 7:07 am

Happy Birthday lovely lady! Best line in the whole post? “Don’t overfill or you’re cupcakes will look like a 35-year-old trying to fit into her 10 pounds and 10 year later jeans ala muffin top.” Yep, been there, done that.

heidi January 26, 2012 at 7:26 am

Yep, me too. Sadly, a few times over on both counts ;)

Deborah January 26, 2012 at 7:30 am

I’m so glad to hear you had a great birthday!! I have a thing for red velvet, and your cupcakes look absolutely perfect. And thanks for featuring my red velvet donuts!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 26, 2012 at 8:03 am

Happy birthday! Love all of the photos… Especially one of your doggy all dressed up for the occasion. :)

Thanks so much for including my ice cream! :)

Annalise January 26, 2012 at 9:29 am

I hope you had a fabulous birthday!! Love the balloon idea, I’m totally stealing it. And red velvet cupcakes seem like a perfect way to celebrate any occasion, birthdays included. I’m actually doing a little red velvet experimenting this weekend, hopefully I’ll have a fun new recipe to share soon.

heidi January 30, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I can’t wait to see your Red Velvet incarnations.!!!

DessertForTwo January 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm

This post makes me so happy for many reasons!

First, I’m reading The Happiness Project right now too!
Second, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Congrats on your milestone. It wasn’t that bad now, was it? (Please hold me because I’m fast-approaching 30.)
Third, um I bleed red velvet. No, really. It’s embarrassing how many desserts for two become dessert for one when that little bottle of red dye is out…Shh! Don’t tell! But my red stained teeth don’t lie..

Jeanine January 26, 2012 at 1:10 pm

What a creative post! The red and white pancakes look stunning.

Jennifer | Mother Thyme January 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Hope you had a fabulous birthday! Red Velvet is my truly my favorite! I love all these inspiring Red Velvet recipes makes me want to run to my kitchen and whip up something Red Velvet now! :)

Michelle January 26, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Red velvet is one of my all time favs! So glad you put all these twists on the standard up!!! LOVE it!
And LOVE the balloons and that adorable red diva you have!!! Year of the dragon, red envelopes, red velvet, red hair – it’s gotta be your color for the year!

Michelle January 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm

ps – LOVED the muffin top reference – died laughing. Because I’ve seen it so many times NEVER done it though – hehe

Melissa // thefauxmartha January 26, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Happy belated b-day young lady! The cupcakes look divine. Your smudge is the cutest. And I can’t wait to hear you speak at ALT next year (wink!).

thelittleloaf January 26, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Happy birthday! What a gorgeous selection of recipes…makes me realise I don’t have enough red velvet in my life!

Cassie January 26, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Hope you had a fabulous birthday. This roundup is definitely making me hungry for red velvet!

Simply Tia January 26, 2012 at 5:52 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope it’s an enjoyable day for you. All these red velvet treats look uber good. Definitely gleaned some ideas from this post!!!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes January 26, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Happy Birthday. Smudge is adorable! Not usually a red velvet fun, but now I have to try those cupcakes.

Cookin' Canuck January 26, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Well, the birthday milestone couldn’t possibly be 40 because you look far too young for that sort of thing (spoken by a 41-year old). Whatever the year is, I wish you a Happy, Happy Birthday and a year full of joy, satisfaction and lots of hugs from that sweet Smudge of yours. All of the red velvet treats are completely irresistible at 10pm at night.

heidi January 30, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Ummm yeah. 40 and something…. :)

Cookie and Kate January 26, 2012 at 11:38 pm

“The days are long, the years are short.” So true! Happy belated birthday, Heidi. It sounds like your family knows how to make birthdays extra special.

Clarence January 26, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Happy Birthday to that cute little girl. The red velvet treats looks so nice. Enjoy the special day.

The Cozy Herbivore January 27, 2012 at 6:32 am

Happy birthday! Looks like you had a magical day. Your daughter is absolutely GORGEOUS, and I love the idea of the balloons! Red velvet cupcakes seem just the thing to round out the festivities.

Erin Cola January 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Happy belated birthday Heidi! You don’t look a day older, however that cute Smudge is growing up to be such a darling young lady. I can’t believe it! Love to you and yours!
Xo, Erin

heidi January 30, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Thank you Erin Cola!!! I want to hear all about your adventures, I hope we’ll get to see you before you take off!

Cheska Hunt January 27, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Happy Birthday! These are fabulous sweet birthday treats! Thanks for sharing sweet recipes and improves my baking skills.

vianney-sweet life January 31, 2012 at 4:48 am

Happy Belated bday!! What a sweet suprise and red velvet is da bomb!! The older I get I seem to love my bdays more!! funny!

Lannie January 31, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Wow, what a great collection of red velvet recipes with beautiful photos. I’m trying to learn some food photography, and these photos are a great inspiration.

Happy birthday!

Valerie February 1, 2012 at 7:40 am

Happy belated Birthday!
Up until about a year ago, I didn’t understand all the fuss over red velvet cake…now I’m absolutely in love with the stuff! Thanks for all the great links, and for offering a tasty alternative to traditional cream cheese frosting. :D

wheres my water apk April 17, 2012 at 11:00 am

This site is absolutely fascinating i am longing for is there the other examples? however anyway many thanks significantly as a result of I found that i was probing for.

Simon K. Nave May 15, 2012 at 7:41 am

This is so fabulous! This is a wonderful birthday party.im so happy .thanks for the shared.

Murshad June 6, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Ahh! I had my first Sprinkles experience this week while trvlaeing in San Diego. Not only did I scarf down the Red Velvet, I also devoured the peanut butter cup. This is just depressing :( LOL. Soo glad I don’t have one in Virginia Beach! Thanks for sharing!

http://melatoninforsleep.topdietplansforweightloss.com August 7, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Hi there, for all time i used to check blog posts here in the
early hours in the daylight, since i love to find out more
and more.

performing facial exercises October 3, 2013 at 3:42 am

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and
in accession capital to say that I acquire actually
loved account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribng to yokur augment or even I
achievement you get right of entry to persistently quickly.