Craving > Family Food Flashback and Some Der Wienerschnitzel

by heidi on October 5, 2011

There are precious few things that can take one right back to my childhood like food can.  And when looking back on some of our childhood faves, you either crave it like its no tomorrow or laugh in hysterics at what was considered haute cuisine.

Ambrosia anyone?

So when a group of us food bloggers got together regaling stories of what mom used to make, a few of us got a little misty eyed, a few laughed with disdain, but all of us cherished the memories of our childhood faves.

FoodieCrush Magazine Weinerschnitzelphoto >foodiecrush

My mom was given this recipe from my dad’s mother, Grandma Frieda, in an attempt to help this young bride satisfy my dad’s love of his German mother’s cooking. I mean the guy likes head cheese. Really dad?

When we had our nightly ritual of dad telling my sister Shoobie and I to “clean our plate,” this was one dish that we never had to hear him utter the phrase. Now when mom cooked liver? Different story. That went from the mouth, into the napkin and conveniently onto the floor for our dog Posey to subtly snarf up.

There’s only one way to serve my mom’s Weinerschnitzel. Not with rice, not with a salad or other veggie. Nope, the only way is with boxed Pasta Roni Angel Hair Pasta with Herbs and jarred—not canned—sweet and sour red cabbage (I’m partial to Aunt Nellie’s, my mom swears by Steinfelds.)

And don’t forget the lemon wedges to spritz on top of the pork chop. Thank you, I’ll have another.

Wienerschnitzel

Serving Size: Serves 4

Wienerschnitzel

6 thin-cut pork chops with the bone (the best part)
1/2 C flour
2 eggs
1/8 C milk
2 cups bread crumbs
salt and pepper
1/8 cup oil for frying
1 lemon

1. With a meat tenderizer or bottom of a heavy pan, pound out pork chops to 1/4 inch thickness. One at a time, dredge chops in flour. In a shallow dish, whisk eggs with milk, salt and pepper. Coat chops in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs, shaking off excess. Heat 2 T of oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Fry chops in batches until golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes on each side. Serve with lemon wedges, noodles and sweet and sour cabbage.

And now, presenting Family Food Flashback—coined by the talented linguist Dara of Cookin’ Canuck .

FoodieCrush Barbara Bakes Homemade Utah Sconesphoto > Barbara Bakes
Presenting Barbara’s mom’s recipe for Homemade Pancake Syrup with Utah Scones

FoodieCrush Magazine The Vintage Mixer Souther Cheese Gritsphoto > The Vintage Mixer
From The Vintage Mixer: Presenting Becky’s mom’s recipe for Garlic Southern Cheese Grits

FoodieCrush Food Finery photo > Food Finery
From Food Finery: Presenting Tiffany’s recipe for Mom’s Hominy (plus a bonus cheesecake. we think?)

FoodieCrush Magazine Everyday Southwest Corn Frittersphoto > Everyday Southwest
From Everyday Southwest: Presenting Donna & Sandy’s mom’s Corn Fritters with Maple Syrup

FoodieCrush Magazine Cookin Canuck Chicken Curryphoto > Cookin’ Canuck
From Cookin’ Canuck: Presenting Dara’s recipe for Mum’s Chicken Curry

FoodieCrush Taste and Tell Chile Rellenophoto > Taste and Tell
From Taste and Tell: Presenting Deborah’s mom’s Chile Relleno

FoodieCrush Katherine Martinelli Meatballsphoto > Katherine Martinelli
From Katherine Martinelli: Presenting Katherine’s dad’s Polpettes or Meat Balls

We’re ramping up for debut issue of FoodieCrush magazine. When will November 15 get here already? If you’re interested in advertising and partnership opportunities, contact me at heidi at foodiecrush dot com.

Thanks for reading. If you liked this post, please subscribe to foodiecrush and follow me on twitter, Facebook and Pinterest

Posted in: entrees,meat and seafood,recipes

Sandy October 5, 2011 at 2:19 am

Those photos are just too cute!
Thanks for putting all of our memories together for everyone to see.

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes October 5, 2011 at 6:54 am

Such a great idea. Thanks for putting this together. Interesting that half of the recipes involve fried food. Your wienerschnitzel would be a family favorite at my house too.

heidi October 6, 2011 at 10:23 pm

We do share the German love of food don’t we?

Bev Weidner October 5, 2011 at 7:19 am

love. every. thing. I. saw.

And I fully expect you to wear that costume again this year, yes?

heidi October 6, 2011 at 10:23 pm

This year I’m going as a cowboy, just to even things out.

Tiffany- Food Finery October 5, 2011 at 8:04 am

This was too fun :) I love reading all of the memories and sharing the recipes from our childhoods. Thanks Ms. Foodie Crush <3

Cookin' Canuck October 5, 2011 at 9:18 am

Thanks so much for pulling all of this together, Heidi! Love the old photos of you – you rocked that costume. It will be fun to read everyone’s food memories.

carly {carlyklock} October 5, 2011 at 10:02 am

Love this, Heidi! There’s few memories more powerful than those surrounding food.

Becky at VintageMixer October 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Great GREAT idea Heidi! I loved posting this and reading all of the others too!

Kalyn October 5, 2011 at 1:53 pm

The Wienerschnitzel looks delish!

Anna October 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm

It’s nice to go down memory lane. If it has something to do with food, it’s better to reminisce and do cook a hearty meal afterwards because you will definitely go hungry. Love your pictures!

heidi October 6, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Thank you Anna, it was fun hearing everyone’s stories.

The Dinner Belle for KimberlyBelle.com October 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm

This is such a sweet and nostalgic post – I am totally in favor for family recipes and here they are, just waiting for me to try them out! Thanks so much for all of this. I especially love the photo of your mom’s weinerschnitzel- especially paired with the angel hair pasta with herbs!! Perfect combo in my opinion.

heidi October 6, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Thanks so much Kimberly. The noodles are the one thing I do still HAVE to make from the box.

Lindsey (Cafe Johnsonia) October 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I love all of these! It’s fun to see the recipes after we talked about them at Maria’s shower. I’m so sad my life got in the way of participating. :( Next time, right?

Oh, I love you ladies!

heidi October 6, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I’ll be looking for your pie recipe.

Deborah October 7, 2011 at 12:08 am

Food associated with memories is the best kind of food!! Thank you so much for organizing this – it was so much fun!!

Gillian October 11, 2011 at 9:29 am

Thank you for taking me back down memoery lane! It made me think of the foods I use to eat as a kid, and its fuuny how just the mention of a certain type of food can transport you to another time and another place. Food and flavors seem to be powerful memoery recalling agents. Thanks for this very memory filled post.

heidi October 13, 2011 at 12:55 am

Thank you for visitng, and yes, totes on the awesome food memories.

Stacey Dominguez December 10, 2011 at 12:08 am

And I fully expect you to wear that costume again this year, yes? This is such a sweet and nostalgic post – I am totally in favor for family recipes and here they are, just waiting for me to try them out!

Jamie February 23, 2012 at 10:02 am

It’s funny how our parents take such pride in their cooking and we don’t so as much because of all the fast food restaurants we go to so often.