Crushing On > Maria & Josh Lichty of Two Peas and Their Pod, Plus Holiday Cookie Recipe Submissions

by heidi on August 5, 2011

Foodie Crush Magazine Two Peas and Their Podphoto > foodiecrush

Honey is what brought us together. Naturally sweet. Golden. Goodness. Ironically, the same words I used to describe the blogger I had approached to help with a food feature I was working on.

My idea was to introduce a local food blogger to the audience of the magazine where I worked. To show the traditional print magazine readers that there was a culinary evolution occurring on the world wide web and that food loving bloggers were becoming as authoritative and revered as traditional culinary-educated chefs, cookbook authors and Food Network TV stars.

It started the way so many relationships do these days. I contacted her on Twitter. We e-mailed back and forth. We talked out ideas and discovered what each of us could bring to the table.

Foodie Crush Magazine Two Peas and Their PodMaria & Josh prepping for our shoot in 2010; the first time we met in person
photo
> foodiecrush

We met at my house, in person, face to face for the first time. She created the recipes, her husband did the cooking, I did the prop styling and the photo taking. And we created a story. A story about food that became a story about food inspiring friends.

Because what started for that blogger and her husband as a personal blog, just for close friends, has become one of the most popular baking blogs on the net today.

Maria and Josh‘s fan-favorite-foodie blog, Two Peas and Their Pod, has evolved into a sweet tooth fairy’s dream, with recipes that focus on delicious sweet treats, plus thanks to Maria’s health degree background a few healthy dishes sprinkled among her cookie obsessions, like her current Two Peas favorite of Toasted Coconut Toffee Chocolate Chip cookies.

Foodie Crush Magazine Two Peas and Their Pod Toffee Chocolate Chip CookiesMaria’s current cookie favorite: Toasted Coconut Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
photo
> foodiecrush

And now with the eagerly anticipated addition to the Pod family arriving this September, Maria and Josh have many new adventures coming their way. We wanted to learn more about what some of their current favorites are and how a new cook in the kitchen, plus a few newborn sleepless nights, might change their blog for the better.

Foodie Crush Magazine Two Peas and Their PodHello newest pea in their pod: due September 2011
photo
> foodiecrush

Foodie Crush Magazine Two Peas and Their PodMaria shows off the hand-knit sweater given to her by fellow blogger Elaine of The Italian Dish
photo
> foodiecrush

Foodie Crush magazine Two Peas and Their PodMaria in the baby’s newly painted room; Josh a.k.a. Handsome Hubs
photo
> foodiecrush

Foodie Crush magazine Two Peas and Their PodJosh doing what he does best: Making Maria happy
photo
> foodiecrush

Thank you Maria and Josh for being our foodie crush. And for being a part of our exciting announcement below.

1. Describe your blog in 3 words:
Fun, simple, tasty.

2. If you could be one food blogger other than yourself, who would you be?
Tough question. I admire so many of our food blogging friends. Can I be all of them for a day? Today, I’ll pick Todd and Diane from White on Rice Couple. I’ve met them several times in person and they are genuine, giving, and humble. They’re always willing to share their talents with others and are always trying to make the food blogging community and world a better place. They inspire me to be a better food blogger and more importantly a better person all around. Plus, they are loads of fun and a joy to be around.

Foodie Crush Magazine NYC Bakery TOurOn the New York baking tour, from left, Jenny of Picky Palate, Maria, Lori of Recipe Girl and Amanda of Kevin & Amanda
photo
> Two Peas and Their Pod

3. Which 3 blogs do you follow/are obsessed with/can’t live a day without?
Another tough question. That is like picking my favorite cookie, which can’t be done. I have too many favorites! Three that I really enjoy are:

Brown Eyed Baker-Michelle shares my love for baking and I can always count on her blog to give me a sweet craving.

Eat, Live, Run-I love Jenna’s recipes and sense of humor. She makes a mean sweet treat, but also knows how to cook a delicious healthy meal.

Dana Treat-Dana is also a vegetarian and makes the most fabulous meals. I think I have bookmarked every recipe on her site. She recently started teaching cooking classes and I hope to travel to Seattle someday to attend a class.

Foodie Crush Magazine Two Peas and Their PodDorie Greenspan, author of Maria’s favorite cookbook, with Maria at Blogher 2010 San Francisco
photo
> Two Peas and Their Pod

4. What is the one kitchen tool you could never give up?
We recently remodeled our kitchen and I am in love with all of our Thermador appliances, but on a smaller scale, I would have to pick my Microplane. We make a lot of lemon and lime recipes, and the Microplane works wonders when it comes to zesting.

5. What dish are you obsessed with mastering that you just can’t get quite right?
We were trying to master French macarons for a long time. Josh is allergic to nuts, so he can’t even eat them, but he was obsessed with making the perfect macaron. We made several batches and they turned out great, but not perfect. Helene, from Tartlette, recently came to visit and taught us how to make the perfect macaron. She is the master and made it so easy. Thanks Helene!

6. What did you have for dinner last night?
We had my new favorite pizza: Peach, Basil, Mozzarella, and Balsamic Pizza and Lemon Blueberry Bars for dessert.

Foodie Crush Magazine Two Peas and Their PodCookies and Tiger Tails at Disneyland
photo
> Two Peas and Their Pod

7. What’s one secret talent outside of the kitchen nobody knows about you?
This is not really a talent, more of an obsession. I’m a March Madness junkie. When March rolls around, watch out. I am glued to the TV and obsessed with my bracket. Josh has learned that if my favorite team loses (University of Illinois), it’s best to not talk to me for awhile.

8. You’re happiest when cooking/eating:
I am happiest when I’m baking and eating cookies with my handsome husband. He always gets out the glass of milk for dunking:)

9. You and Josh started your blog as a personal blog about goings on in your lives that has since evolved into the popular food blog it is today. With the arrival of your new baby in September, how do you think having children will influence your blog in the future?
This is our first baby, so we really have no idea what we are in for:) We’re very excited and can’t wait until our little guy gets here. We make a great team in the kitchen and plan on using that same teamwork to be good parents. We plan on still cooking, baking, entertaining, and blogging. We are anxious to introduce our son to a variety of foods, flavors, and can’t wait to teach him how to cook and bake. Our kitchen is going to be filled with even more joy and love.

10. The one secret ingredient to your success is:
Enjoying the journey. We didn’t intend to start a food blog, it just sort of happened. Now, we have been blogging for 3 years and it is my full-time job. I feel very blessed to be doing what I love. We hope our readers can sense our love and passion for food, blogging, and life.

Thanks Maria and Josh, we’re so excited for your new pea to join the pod. And while you’ll be busy with pre-baby prep, blogging and delivering, we’re so pleased to make yet another special announcement that’s been in the works for even longer than Maria’s been pregnant.

And sorry, no, we aren’t announcing the new pea’s name. Yet.Foodie Crush Magazine Holiday Cookie Submission

Food bloggers, it’s time to warm up your ovens and start your mixers. Announcing…Call for Submissions: FoodieCrush Magazine’s 50 Best Holiday Cookies

This selection of cookies will be the centerpiece of FoodieCrush Magazine, the online magazine that loves food bloggers, their recipes and photography. We’re thrilled to announce that Maria of Two Peas and Their Pod will be the contributing editor for this special holiday section. We’ll showcase the best holiday cookie recipes and photography from food bloggers across the www with Maria wrangling submissions, reviewing recipes and heading up the final selection of the sweetest treats for this holiday article.

The article will be a round-up of our favorite 50 food bloggers holiday cookie recipes. Whether you’re a seasoned blogger or a novice newbie, if you have a great recipe and pretty picture we want to see what you’ve got. Selected recipes will be featured in the holiday story.

How to submit:

E-mail the following to cookies@foodiecrush.com

1. E-mail us your holiday cookie recipe
  2. E-mail us up to three versions of the photograph of the cookie at 300 dpi or the highest possible resolution photo that will woo us into a sugar coma, saved as a .jpg. Vertical orientation of your photo is preferred.
  3. E-mail us a photo of yourself in the high res form listed above—one that you’ll be happy to have the food loving masses ogle over (same style that you would use for a profile photo)

And now for the fine print: Submitting a recipe does not guarantee being featured in the article. All submissions will be reviewed and selections will be made based on the quality of recipe, number of recipes submitted within categories and quality of photography. Submissions will be accepted via e-mail only and must be a recipe that you, the submitter, have created and/or adapted with appropriate accredidations. NO SWIPED RECIPES OR IMAGERY ALLOWED! We want to celebrate your creativity, so let’s see it!

Submissions end September 1, 2011. Thank you for submitting, we’re so excited to feature the web’s best food blogging holiday cookie recipes in our debut issue launching in November of 2011.

Thanks for reading. If you liked this post, please subscribe to foodiecrush and follow me on twitter and Facebook and Pinterest

Posted in: baking and breads,crushing,food blogger interview,food bloggers

Bev Weidner August 5, 2011 at 8:11 am

Eeee, this post made me so happy! I love them. I love you. I love new peas!

Wait, that came out wrong. I love their pea!

Yeah, that’s even creepier. I’ll just stop.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. August 5, 2011 at 9:05 am

fun post! I love Josh and Maria! They are absolutely wonderful!

Kelley August 5, 2011 at 9:17 am

Great story Heidi! The photos are beautiful as usual and I love the holiday cookie contest! What better person than Maria to take charge!

heidi August 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm

It’s going to be a really fun round up. We can’t wait to see the recipes roll in.

Deborah August 5, 2011 at 9:33 am

Love Maria, and love this article!! Now I need to get my cooking-thinking hat on…

heidi August 5, 2011 at 9:35 am

Yes, yes you do! Sweet, sticky, yummy? What will it be?

Maria August 5, 2011 at 9:44 am

Thanks for featuring us! I am super excited to see all of the holiday cookie submissions!

heidi August 5, 2011 at 11:12 am

So happy to feature you and Josh, you are da’ sweet treat bomb.

Annalise August 5, 2011 at 10:51 am

What a fun feature! I can’t get enough of Maria and Josh, they are great. Now I’ve got to get into holiday cookie mode, in August, it will be a fun challenge!

Rocky Mountain Woman August 5, 2011 at 11:57 am

They are such a cute couple. Can’t wait to see the newest little pea!

I’m totally ready to go into holiday mode even though it’s only August….

Aggie August 5, 2011 at 12:24 pm

This post totally made me smile…love these two so much! Maria, I will come help with the baby if you help me learn to bake :)

Loved the interview…and I may have to start working on some cookies :)

Pam @ From Apples To Zucchini August 5, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for giving me an excuse to bake! I’ll be getting to work on something now!

heidi August 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Can’t wait to see your submission.

janetha @ meals & moves August 5, 2011 at 1:00 pm

What a great interview! I always love to see and hear about Utah local bloggers. Maria and Josh have some serious talent–love their blog!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes August 5, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Such a fun feature story. Maria and Josh are going to be such great parents. The Christmas cookie story is a great idea. Maria definitely knows her cookies.

Taylor Bailey August 5, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I can the love from these cookies! Conversing on holiday with friends will surely be delighted. I’m gonna try it.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Maria…you’re SUCH a doll! I would love to meet you one day, Maria! :) And your newest addition too one dya (that little green sweater is SO CUTE!)

I was just at an event last night with Lori/Recipegirl and earlier this week was in Boulder with Todd & Diane.

And last night here in San Diego met tons of other bloggers who were in town for BlogHer ’11

Would love to meet you too, Heidi.

The holiday cookie submissions..I am going to look over my stash and see. I don’t like my pics from a year ago! haha! :)

heidi August 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Take some new pics and send them and your recipes our way!

marla August 5, 2011 at 8:47 pm

How FUN is this post. Love the photos and the inside scoop on Two Peas. Maria & Josh are so cool & I always enjoy spending time with them via the computer & for reals. Can’t wait to meet the baby pea. Beautiful photos girl!

Kayli September 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Thanks for writing such an easy-to-udnrsteand article on this topic.

marla August 5, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Also I will submit some cookies :)

heidi August 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Thanks Marla, excited to see your creations.

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} August 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm

What a great interview of such a talented {and adorable} couple! I’m looking forward to the cookie challenge…and meeting the new pea!

Dana August 6, 2011 at 2:31 pm

What a wonderful feature of a lovely couple. I’ve been fortunate enough to meet Maria and Josh several times and I’m always bowled over by how warm they are and how sweet they are with one another. As a mom of boys, I’m especially excited for their new arrival!

heidi August 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Yes, their little boy will be extremely lucky.

Chris @nestlefoodie August 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm

What a sweet post! Maria is just adorable and her cookies, well, they are the best!

Natalie August 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Great feature! Maria is the cutest pregnant lady! They’re both adorable and I’m sure they’re little bundle will fit in quite nicely. :)

carly {carlyklock} August 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Great post – love those guys. I’m excited to get a little bit of the holiday spirit going in August!

TidyMom August 12, 2011 at 8:27 am

What a fun post!! I love getting to know you guys better- look how cute you two are!!…….now I need to go warm up my mixer and oven!

Erica August 12, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Y’all are SO cute! Ah! You look totally fabulous. So much love!

heidi August 16, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Thank you Erica!

Jeanette August 25, 2011 at 10:12 am

Maria was one of the first people I met as a brand new blogger at BlogHer Food last year. She was so down to earth and friendly, and introduced me to her blogging friends, who I knew nothing about at the time. Two Peas and Their Pod was one of the first food blogs I started to follow and continue to enjoy weekly.

Holly August 27, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Love the looks of those cookies! Will be trying those soon and look forward to your holiday cookie issue. Hooray!!

Mao Leeming December 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Wow both of you are very sweet. Congratulations for the new baby you guys finally have it. I’m looking forward for the new born baby from you guys I’m so excited.

Leila Erickson December 11, 2011 at 10:54 am

What a wonderful feature of a lovely couple. I’m gonna try it. Wow both of you are very sweet. I always love to see and hear about Utah local bloggers.

Trading Forex With Moving Averages September 5, 2014 at 12:07 am

When someone writes an paragraph he/she maintains the
thought of a user in his/her mind that how a user can understand it.

Thus that’s why this article is great. Thanks!

www.youtube.com September 10, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Hello. Simply wanted to ask a quick problem.
I’m setting up my own web site and wish to realize wherever you’ve got your design? Has
been the item free? Or even seemed to be it paid? I can’t appear to discover anything at all as effective as this, therefore with luck ,
you can ok, i’ll know. Appreciate it. PS, the i’m sorry. British
is not my own initial terminology.

HEROES OF THE STORM BETA September 23, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Greetings I am so grateful I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while
I was looking on Aol for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a tremendous post and a all round interesting blog (I
also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the moment
but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds,
so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

overstock discount coupons September 24, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I blog frequently and I genuinely thank you for
your content. This great article has truly peaked my interest.
I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new details about once
a week. I subscribed to your Feed too.

gadgets September 25, 2014 at 12:00 am

Can I simply just say what a relief to find someone who actuall
knows what they are discussing onn the internet. Yoou
definitely understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
A lot more people ought tto read this and
understand this side oof your story. It’s surprising you’re not more popular because you
most certainly possess the gift.

natural cleanse plus September 25, 2014 at 6:15 am

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have take note your stuff prior to and you’re
just too excellent. I actually like what you’ve received here, really like what you’re saying and the way by which you are saying it.
You’re making it entertaining and you still care for to keep
it wise. I cant wait to learn much more from you.
That is actually a tremendous site.

san bernardino taxi service September 25, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Right here is the perfect site for anybody who would like
to find out about this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I actually will need to…HaHa).
You certainly put a new spin on a topic that’s been discussed for many years.
Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

dilatadores September 26, 2014 at 7:11 am

Hi to every , for the reason that I am really keen of reading this
weblog’s post to be updated on a regular basis.
It contains nice data.

eatgamelive.com September 26, 2014 at 11:47 pm

looked over the information within this site quite a lot, planning to take the plunge shortly and buy a steam shower cabin, very likely after the holiday break

League of Angels Cheats September 27, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is
really informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels.

I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited from your writing.
Cheers!