5 Gazpachos and a Bloody Mary Gazpacho

by heidi on August 2, 2011

The combination of soaring temperatures and farmer’s markets leads me to one conclusion. It’s time for gazpacho. With sweat-drenched home cooks and their ovens and stoves going on strike, it’s that time of summer when a no-cook meal is in order.

I love gazpacho. I’ve made it with a variety of veggies gleaned from the garden (and sometimes from cleaning out the fridge) but this time around I wanted a gazpacho with a little kick. Hello…bloody mary anyone?

Foodie Crush Magazine Bloody Mary Gazpacho

It was a very natural transition. Afterall, gazpacho require manys of the same ingredients as a great bloody mary. All that’s needed is some heat, a little Mary spice and wa-lah! BM in a bowl. And if you’re feeling particularly dandy or serving it for brunch, throw in a shot or two of vodka for a little bloody buzz.

Gazpacho is super versatile, and doesn’t always include tomatoes and can be whatever color its base is. Try one of these variations (cherry? almonds?) from some of our favorite food bloggers.

Foodie Crush Magazine La Tartine Gourmand Gazpachophoto > La Tartine Gourmande

Reliving the traditions of her French roots, Bea’s philosophy of eating veggies and fruits in season, and when at their freshest stage possible, makes La Tartine Gourmande‘s Tomato Gazpacho  especially lively and satisfying as a main course, appetizer or amuse-bouche palette cleanser.

Foodie Crush Magazine Marcus Samuelsson White Gazpachophoto > Linday Hunt

Marcus Samuelsson’s hunt for the world’s best restaurant found Chef Jordan Frosolone, of New York City’s August Restaurant, and his White Gazpacho recipe. It blended creaminess comes from blanched almonds, creme fraiche and whole milk and with the added punch of cucumbers and grapes, the hit of chile oil offsets its cool creaminess.

Foodie Crush Magazine Christopher Cina Gazpachophoto > Christopher Cina

Along with sharing the secret to perfectly cooked shrimp (you’ll have to click the link to find it out) Chef Chris Of Christopher Cina ‘s Gazpacho with Spiced Shrimp, Lemon Crema is a classic tomato gazpacho with a kicked up garnish of spiced shrimp. And don’t forget the crema. NEVER forget the crema!

Foodie Crush Magazine Running With Tweezers Gazpachophoto > Running With Tweezers

Throwing a contemporary spin on classic gazpacho, Tami combines tomatillos, watercress and cilantro with cucumber an yellow bell pepper (green although the right color might wouldn’t be mellow enough) for Running With Tweezers Green Gazpacho with Spicy Croutons (or as I like to call it: a green goddess love fest with a smokey crunch.)

Foodie Crush Magazine The Winter Guest Cherry Gazpachophoto > The Winter Guest

That’s the beauty of tomatoes. They tend to complement nearly every other red fruit (think watermelon and strawberries), but when I discovered The Winter Guest‘s Cherry Gazpacho I realized there’s a whole realm, cherries, that I’d never known! And as Miriam suggests, nothing is better than enjoying to enjoy a nice cool gazpacho in the summer heat.

Thanks for reading. If you liked this post, please subscribe to foodiecrush and follow me on twitter and Facebook and Pinterest

Posted in: recipes,soups and stews,vegetables and fruits

Bev Weidner August 2, 2011 at 7:22 am

Done. I’ve never been in love with the G word, but this week I’m changing my ways. I think I’ll go your BM route. Whoa, I should really type that out, bloody marry. There, that’s better.

I’ll let you know how it goes!

heidi August 2, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Do it Bev, and think about adding that dose of something special.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. August 2, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Great round up! Gazpacho is one of my all time favorites

heidi August 2, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Hey Alison, thanks! I can imagine you’d like gazpacho since its so healthy and fresh :) Do you have any secrets to get your kids to eat tomatoes? Ali is still resisting at 7 y.o.

Ally @ omnomally.com August 2, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Fantastic offering of different gazapacho recipes! I think my favourite is the bloody mary version, I never would have thought of it, it’s brilliant!

heidi August 2, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Thanks Ally, I think it would be delish with a touch of feta or pickled asparagus as a topping too.

Russell at Chasing Delicious August 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Wow. Look at all these gazpachos! I’m going to have to check out some of these (and by some I mean all) as I am now craving gazpacho… and a bloody mary. Gorgeous photo too.

heidi August 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Thanks Russell, do give them a try. Nice to see a token male on the site :) THX for commenting

marla August 2, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I love me a good gazpacho soup. So many beauties to choose from here!

heidi August 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Thanks Maria, they do look mouthwateringly good.

Sarah August 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm

This bloody mary gazpacho looks FABULOUS! I just love the pungent spice of a great bloody mary, and this looks right up my alley!!! Thanks so much!

heidi August 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm

You are welcome! Love your blog name, will be by to check you out!

meg jones August 3, 2011 at 1:56 pm

love all of these ideas! gazpacho is just the perfect summer food, and the bloody mary recipe looks amazing – i cannot WAIT to try this out. thank you!

heidi August 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Yes, give it a try! It disappears quickly in our house (double-ing for cocktail and soup)

Miriam/The Winter Guest August 5, 2011 at 5:15 am

Thanks Heidi for including my cherry gazpacho!! Cheers from northwest Spain, on vacation ;)

heidi August 5, 2011 at 9:35 am

Thank you Winter! What a great combo: tomatoes and cherries!

mackenzie smith August 8, 2011 at 1:11 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE! But does the usage of “BM” irk anyone else?

Valentin October 26, 2013 at 7:06 am

I seldom create comments, but i did a few searching and wound up here 5 Gazpachos
and a Bloody Mary Gazpacho – foodiecrush. And I actually do have a couple of questions
for you if you usually do not mind. Could it be only me or does it look like
a few of these remarks come across as if they are left by brain dead visitors?
:-P And, if you are writing on additional online social sites,
I would like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post.
Could you list of the complete urls of all your
shared pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?