Craving > 5 Fresh and Simple Avocado Salads

by heidi on August 16, 2011

After an amazingly late summer start thanks to one of the rainiest springs we’ve had in a long time, my harvest is finally coming on. So being the responsible gardener that I am, I’m now surfing the web for new ways to use the bounty I’ve spent hundreds of dollars watering, fertilizing and now plucking from their green, lush vines.

FoodieCrush Magazine Tomato Avocado Saladphoto > foodiecrush

Is it all worth it?

Once I bite into the juicy, warm nectar that has become a home-grown cherry tomato, my response without hesitation is “hell yes.”

At this time of year I find it easy to veer toward the tomato recipes that are more caprese-style, studded with basil and balsamic vinegar. But today I’m going off the grid and putting my balsamic in the back seat.

Inspired by an avocado and onion salad my husband and I came to crave from a favorite Cuban restaurant (and that I always asked for tomatoes to be added to), I’ve embellished their inspiration and made it my own with creamy avocados, onion, homegrown tomatoes and lick-loving licoricey-tarragon—just ’cause I’m an herb-loving kind of girl. Sometimes the salad gets more tomatoes, sometimes more avocado, just depends on what I have on hand. Today, it’s pretty lycopene loaded thanks to my heirloom cherry ‘mater harvest.

Avocado, Onion and Tomato Salad

Serving Size: serves 1

Avocado, Onion and Tomato Salad

1 large tomato, sliced in thick slices
1/2 avocado, sliced
2 slices red onion, I prefer mine nearly shaved
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
sprig of fresh tarragon
1 T fruity olive oil, the best you can afford
1/2 tsp champagne vinegar

1. Put tomatoes, avocado and sliced onion on a small plate, sprinkle with tarragon leaves and dress with the olive oil and vinegar. Add kosher or sea salt and some pepper to taste. The olive oil is really the key and main flavor so add more to taste and make sure its good and fruity to complement the freshness of the other ingredients.

FoodieCrush Magazine Baked Bree Grilled Avocado and Peach Saladphoto > Baked Bree

My husband gave grilled avos a try, but didn’t have much success. But I’m inspired to give it another go thanks to Bree’s layering of lots of fresh herbs with spicy arugula, creamy mozzarella and grilled peaches in Bree’s Baked Bree‘s unique Grilled Peach and Avocado Salad. Looks divinely fresh and simple.

FoodieCrush Magazine What Would Cathy Eat Soba Noodle Avocado Saladphoto > What Would Cathy Eat

Cathy gives a fresh and simple nod to asian flavors, What Would Cathy Eat‘s Soba Noodle Salad with Avocado and Mango marries the sweet notes of mango with the tartness of rice vinegar and sesame oil to create a mellow fusion of delicious.

FoodieCrush Magazine Coconut and Vanilla Avocado and Couscous Saladphoto > Coconut and Vanilla

With just a few simple ingredients Lena for Coconut and Vanilla has created a completely decadent and deceptively simple Couscous and Avocado Salad recipe studded with mint, honey and the delicious crunch of pine nuts. (o ja! recipes are given in both English and German)

FoodieCrush Magazine Cate's World Kitchen Quinoa and Avocado Saladphoto > Cate’s World Kitchen

And now off to Mexico we go with Cate’s World Kitchen and her healthy, spiced up Black Bean, Quinoa and Avocado Salad, tossed with a freshly homemade tomatillo salsa. She makes it easy to eat right thanks to all the flavor.

Thanks for reading. If you liked this post, please subscribe to foodiecrush and follow me on twitter, Facebook and Pinterest

Posted in: recipes,salads and sides

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 16, 2011 at 11:52 pm

The recipes and photos are all beautiful!

I love avos and make raw vegan avocado ice cream. And also raw vegan chocolate mousse with them. No one ever guesses the “secret” ingredient is avocado.

Tres Delicious August 17, 2011 at 4:02 am

Wow!! this salad is sooo good looking… so delicious. I must try this out. Great post

Bev Weidner August 17, 2011 at 9:10 am

Seriously Heidi, I just died.
A) your shot is GORGEOUS.
B) Why isn’t my face in that most perfect salad THIS INSTANT?
C) Why don’t we live closer? No, no really.

carly {carlyklock} August 17, 2011 at 10:15 am

I’m headed to the lake with the girls this weekend for a little R&R, and this is a PERFECT recipe for us! I’ve been on the hunt for simple and fresh and seasonal inspiration. Woot for serendipity.

Delishhh August 17, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I love your site – your pictures are fantastic and i love your addiction :) These salads looks fabulous and i am going to have to try the top one.

Nice to meet you!

Emily August 17, 2011 at 4:05 pm

When I grow up, I want to take food photos like you. That first salad is my most favorite out of the group. I will be making it for sure!

Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice August 18, 2011 at 5:26 am

A beautiful collection of photos, and I love your commentary. First time here, looking forward to looking around!

Yvette - Muy Bueno Cookbook August 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm

As an avocado luvah these photos and recipes are amazing. Beautiful collection…yum

Paula @ Dishing the Divine August 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm

That avocado and tomato salad looks divine. How about adding some fresh sweet corn to that? Yummmmmy. :)

Courtney Carver | Be More with Less August 19, 2011 at 8:55 am

waiting for my invitation to come pick, and while I’m there, would love a tomato salad or sandwich. (subtle hint)

Jeanette August 25, 2011 at 10:19 am

I love avocados, especially in salsas and salads. I’ve even tried them in a dessert inspired by the Lava Flow drink we had in Hawaii for our honeymoon. The Avocado, Onion and Tomato Salad, and Soba Noodle Salad with Avocado and Mango are definitely on my list to try.

Kelsey (Happyolks) August 28, 2011 at 8:38 am

Your avo-tomato recipe has been my breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the past three weeks. There is nothing more satisfying than the two together with a bit of salt and pepper. Delicious list, again!

heidi August 31, 2011 at 12:07 am

Totes! Love that you are getting your fill before its back to grocery store tomatoes.

Tiffany {A Clove of Garlic} February 23, 2012 at 11:26 am

These salads look FABULOUS. Perfect for a light meal. So fresh, so healthy, so much COLOR and life.

marla May 28, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Heidi, this salad is vibrant and made me dash over from Pinterest. Love all the other you share here too!

online history master's degree June 3, 2013 at 10:57 am

What’s up to all, the contents existing at this website are really remarkable for people experience, well, keep up the nice work fellows.